In the last two weeks, two of our most effective Compass global teams have been attacked. The first was our South American Home Office in Guatemala. A sophisticated gang seriously injured the guards protecting the seven story office building in which Compass is housed. They gained access to three stories stealing every piece of electronic equipment and making a giant mess. Fortunately, our Latino team routinely backs up all data off-site.
Then on Monday we received this email from our Compass India Director: “One of our ministry sites in Madurai was attacked over the weekend by a crowd of more than 40 hard core anti-Christian elements and we are working thru the aftermath of it.”
Writing to the Ephesians the apostle Paul reminds us that we are really engaged in an unseen war. “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12).
As one of the Compass team observed, “We must be doing things right to have these kinds of attacks.”
We have been sensing since January, that in many ways the Lord would enable 2015 to be a breakthrough year for Compass. But not without a fight.
Paul tells us how to conduct ourselves in this war in Ephesians 6:13-18.
- Take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything to stand firm
- Having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness
- Having shod your feet with the . . . . gospel of peace
- Taking up the shield of faith which you will be able to extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one
- Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
- With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit
In a war people can see, none of these things would be considered effective things to do: armor of God, truth, righteousness, gospel of peace, faith, salvation, word of God, and prayer. But in the war every follower of Christ is engaged, these are the only weapons we have.
Please be serious about engaging in this war for the hearts and souls of people.
If this blog post has been a blessing to you please share it with a friend through email, Facebook, or Twitter.